So your computer won’t switch on. Before hitting the panic button, here are a few tips to diagnose the problem. Startup problems have many causes including lack of power, bad memory, bad motherboard or bad hard-drive, and software faults. Here are a few tips for troubleshooting power problems:
- Check the power source: does the wall socket work?
- Now check that the monitor is on. This catches a few people out every so often.
- If the socket is okay, and you have a laptop, check the power adapter: does the power indicator light come on?
- Next, unplug the computer (and remove the battery if it’s a laptop) and press and hold the power button for thirty seconds. Reconnect the power and try to start up again.
If the problem persists it is likely that the motherboard or power supply have a problem and it will need to be looked at further to confirm.
If the computer shows some kind of life, you may get an error message or what is known as a beep code.
- If your computer beeps upon starting, count the number of beeps and if they form a pattern (eg. two long, one short). Search for the beep pattern and manufacturer’s name via your preferred search engine and you should find the chart to decipher that particular code.
- An error message such as “No operating system found” is likely a hard-drive fault which may or not be repairable depending on the nature of the fault.
- Complaints of missing files may be the hard-drive or RAM (memory) which may need replacing or possibly an update gone awry. Tap the F8 key before Windows starts loading and try to start in safe-mode.
- If your computer continually tries to boot but fails (reboot loop), try tapping the F8 key and see if it will start in safe-mode. Newly installed software or driver updates may be the cause so try uninstalling them and see if it will start up normally.
If your PC or laptop still has a problem after following our guide, contact us. We are a computer repair and technical support company based in Llanberis, Gwynedd and we serve Llanberis, Caernarfon, Bangor and the surrounding areas in Gwynedd and further afield.